Pimento cheese spread is a heavenly Southern delicacy, favorite, and culinary specialty that began at least as far back as the 1870s. A recipe was published in Good Housekeeping using the canned red peppers newly being sent over by Spain (called “pimiento”) – that was so unexpectedly delicious that folks added cheese and it quickly became the beloved Pimento cheese spread that we know today. So we thought, let’s try to add some perfection to perfection – so we added the Big Cheese to ours!
List of Ingredients
- One 15 oz block of Wicked White Cheddar (need 2 cups, grated)
- One 15 oz block of Glorious Golden Cheddar (need 2 cups, grated)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- Two 4 oz jars diced pimentos, drained
- 1-1/2 tablespoon grated white onion (with the juice)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional but recommended!)
Coarsely grate 2 cups of Wicked White and 2 cups of Golden Cheddar. Set aside. In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk mayonnaise, pimentos, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Next, fold the cheeses into the mayonnaise mixture to combine. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. It is best to take out of the refrigerator 30-minutes before serving to fully experience the sharpness of cheddar flavors.
Cheesy Tip: 15 oz blocks are a grate size to make this recipe and have a little extra to snack on another day. 15 oz will typically yield approximately 6 cups of shredded cheese. If you have a lot of cheese-loving mouths to feed, get a 2.5 lb. block each of Wicked White Cheddar and Glorious Golden Cheddar and double the recipe!